Featured Wedding - Gisela and Karel

A gorgeous wedding is an excellent way to burst into the new year. Our featured wedding today is that of Gisela and Karel Strydom, who planned their big day to be exactly what they always dreamed it would be and pulled it off with their own talents and little help from their friends.

So Gisela, tell us about your wedding, and please don't leave out any detail!
Date & Time:
19 Nov 2011

Budget:
R140 000

# of guests:
118

Ceremony & Reception venue:
Towerbosch, Knorhoek, Stellenbosch


Wedding Cake:
Carol-Anne Radivo
Because my new husband is gluten intolerant we struggled to find someone to bake our cake.
Finally my mom asked one of the girls who works with her if she could do it.
She was very happy to help. So the top tier of our 3 tier chocolate cake was gluten free!


Catering:
Towerbosch
Their food was amazing! A home style meal served "feast style". Every table got a platter of food and everyone could dish for themselves.


Flowers:
Fiori de Sorento - 021 988 4006
I dealt with Mario – what a star! He really does make you feel like you are the only bride in the world and will go out of his way to make your wedding as special as you have always dreamed.


Hair & Make-up:
Anna Pepper
Anna is a very good friend of mine. Its just convenient that she should also be a professional makeup artist who specializes in bridal hair and make up!

Bridal party: I had an agreement with the girls that I would pay for the fabric of their dresses and they had them made. The whole idea was to let them decide what their dress should look like so they can have a dress that they
A. feel gorgeous in and
B. can wear again

We bought the chiffon in my 3 colours and had it pleated. From there the girls got their dresses made by who ever they felt comfortable with.




Dress maker:
My dress was made by my sister-in-law with a helping hand from her mother. It is very special to me, not just because it is my wedding dress, but because it was made with love! It really is a family heirloom.

Suits:
The groom and groom's men all had their suits made at Saleh Taiors in Athlone, 021 633 7044 (Ask for Farhana).
They were recommended by a family memeber who also had their wedding suit made there. I must say all the boys (including the fathers) looked  grand in their tailor made suits!
It works out to be a only little more expensive than hiring, but at least you get to keep the suit!

Ring Maker:
We bought Karel's ring from American Swiss.
Mine was made through Marie Cooper, a jewelery broker, in Plattekloof. 083 257 0678
I also had my jewellry custom made by Gina Prins from Secrets Unearthed Jewellery


Stationery:
Im a graphic designer, so I did my own stationery. All printing was done by Peter at Colourworks: 021 425 0377



Transport:
Our wedding car was a 1962 Jaguar Mark II.
We rented it for the day from Classic Cats in Stellenbosch.
The driver was the nicest man I have ever met! So sweet!
www.classic-cats.co.za
Pamela: +27 (0)82 5723778
Office: +27 (0)21 8433490


Photographer:
Eric Uys
Also a good friend. We have known Eric for over 3 years and I've always wanted him to do our wedding photos. He is incredibly talented!
I am over the moon with our photos. He knows how to tell a story with a photograph. There is this one picture where all the girls are running about doing makeup and hair and he is standing there in the middle of all the chaos, looking very lost. So sweet and so true.
www.ericuysphotography.com
082 374 8617





Music & Entertainment:
We had a band. Magnum 4. Very cool old school tunes. Great fun! I danced all night!


First dance song:
Ray la Montagne -You are the Best Thing

Gift registries:
We asked for money, but I had a registry with Woolies for the kitchen tea.

Honeymoon:
Thailand. We stayed in a 5 star resort in Phuket for the first 3 days and after that we backpacked. We ended up on Koh Phangan in a hut on the beach. 4 walls and a bed with no hot water, mozzies everywhere, hammock and the ocean less than 10m from our front door. AMAZING!
We are planning to go back to celebrate our 30th birthdays there.


Hints & Tips for future brides:
1. Don't stress about the little things. Something will go wrong. Something might not happen at all. Just remember – no one will know except you. There is no point stressing about it!
2. Be organised. Work our your budget, make to do lists, tick them off, then make another one. Your friends will think you are a bit bonkers, but believe me, if I didn't have my spreadsheet I would have been a ball of nerves!
3. Photographers are expensive, but rather save money elsewhere and put it towards your photographer. The photos really are all you have left, besides a beautifull dress that you will never wear again. And I have probably looked through them about a million times and they take me back to that boiling hot day in November when I said "I Do Forever"!

Your wedding day emergency kit:
You'll need to ask my bride's maids that question. The girls where so organised on the day I didn’t need to be.



Congratulations to Gisela and Karel, we wish you all the best in love, life and all those moments of uncontrollable laughter!